I remember when I lost my mind
I remember standing atop a lush green hilltop contemplating about the nature of life, if there was a nature in it. A single tree stood up from the hill with roots firmly held to the ground. The towering tree showcased rich green leaves, an intricate web of branches, and a wide trunk. I stared at the tree bewildered. How could a tree look so young when they teach us in classrooms that it takes years for trees to get this big? The weather was not suggestive of anything. The clouds didn't look sad, or hopeful, or joyful. Maybe the sky was just losing its color. Maybe I'm just outgrowing this place.
Then I heard the footsteps of a gentlemen approaching behind me. Of course, it struck me as odd to find anyone besides myself standing on this hill. But I wasn't going to let this intelligible individual ruin my moment here. Without turning around, I asked him calmly, "Who are you?"
"My apologies, sir," he replied. "But let me be the first to tell you that you're not going to find any answers in this place."
"Oh yeah? Well you still haven't answered my question."
"My apologies again, young sir. My name is Mr. Barkley... Mr. Gnarles Barkley."
To be honest, that name came as a surprise. Around these parts, that was the name of a legend and a criminal. But I never cared for any of that. "What can I do for you, Mr. Gnarls Barkley?"
"It's what I can do for you." He handed me a CD that said "St. Elsewhere" on it.
"What's this? music?"
"It's a map, audial direction to where you want and need to be. There are people like you over there, but not exactly quite like you."
I looked over the city, then turned around and he was gone. But he was the type to still have a presence without being in the vicinity. He was in the air. And the island of St. Elsewhere is still a few days away. I wonder if Gnarls Barkley is over there right now. They say he comes in and out on a whim. It doesn't really matter I guess.
Then I heard the footsteps of a gentlemen approaching behind me. Of course, it struck me as odd to find anyone besides myself standing on this hill. But I wasn't going to let this intelligible individual ruin my moment here. Without turning around, I asked him calmly, "Who are you?"
"My apologies, sir," he replied. "But let me be the first to tell you that you're not going to find any answers in this place."
"Oh yeah? Well you still haven't answered my question."
"My apologies again, young sir. My name is Mr. Barkley... Mr. Gnarles Barkley."
To be honest, that name came as a surprise. Around these parts, that was the name of a legend and a criminal. But I never cared for any of that. "What can I do for you, Mr. Gnarls Barkley?"
"It's what I can do for you." He handed me a CD that said "St. Elsewhere" on it.
"What's this? music?"
"It's a map, audial direction to where you want and need to be. There are people like you over there, but not exactly quite like you."
I looked over the city, then turned around and he was gone. But he was the type to still have a presence without being in the vicinity. He was in the air. And the island of St. Elsewhere is still a few days away. I wonder if Gnarls Barkley is over there right now. They say he comes in and out on a whim. It doesn't really matter I guess.


3 Comments:
check out ghetto pop life, mouse and the mask, and the grey album
wow
"Everybody is somebody, but no one wants to be themself."
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home