I once knew a person...

I'm from the South. Hear my story.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Employment and the Fast-Food Industry

I once had a middle school teacher share with his class his philosophy on employment in the fast-food industry.

If I remember correctly, his words were...

"You ever see those guys sweeping the floor at McDonald's? When I'm eating at McDonald's and finish up, I leave all my trash on the table. All the wrappers and boxes I leave on the table where I ate. I don't throw it away. The way I see it, if I didn't leave my trash their for them to pick up, they wouldn't have a job to do. And I wouldn't want to be responsible for their unemployment just because I didn't give them any work to perform."

To an impressionable young 8th grader, this made sense.

To a not-so-impressionable borderline-old 15th grader, I find myself very able to throw away my own trash at McDonald's and still let the street sweepers keep their jobs.

Imagine if the whole world thought like this.

Thanks for the call, my friend, Grem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home