Rock n' Roll is Dead.
Netninja told me about this book he was reading. It's called "Demian" by Hermann Hesse.

I haven't read it but he was explaining to me an interesting take on religion discussed in the book. There is the god of good and the god of evil. Most religions would have you believe that there is one God, or supreme being, that represents all that is good. Most religions would also have you believe that you should only worship one God. In the book, it says that you can't just worship one God in the name of good. In my experience and in history, people do the ugliest things with the best intentions, in the name of good. There is the god of good and the god of evil and you can't devote your life to one of these two extremes. You have to worship both and find where your place is in between these two extremes.
This outlook on religion or even how we see good and bad made me think about where my place is and how I fit in this world. I think it would be pretty ignorant for me to say that everything I do is for the side of good. Everything I do is for my side.
And on my side, my family eats, my partners prosper, and it is regrettable to be one of my enemies, whatever dirt or shine that entails.
-----------------------------------------------
I don't really listen to rock, and I think I found out why. My dad told me to listen to this album.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

If you don't know this album, you at least know its album cover. They made the prism famous. It is why you see it everywhere. It is how you have this design on pajammies. Because they made it famous.
And they're famous for good reason. When you listen to music, it's good to have a sense of history. Before I listened to this album, I already knew it was a classic based on reputation. But when I actually heard it, it almost brought me to tears at how good it actually was. Then I got angry. I got angry at how we as listeners made rock n' roll posers famous. It is an insult to rock n' roll that we let the artists now become successful by releasing garbage and not art. I know that hip hop is in a bad state right now. If it's not dead, it is on some serious life support. But no one mentions how bad rock n' roll is. Rock n' roll is guilty of producing cookie cutter artists just as much as hip hop is. The whole music industry needs a revival or else its listeners will be reduced to drones who listen through their headphones and hear nothing.

I haven't read it but he was explaining to me an interesting take on religion discussed in the book. There is the god of good and the god of evil. Most religions would have you believe that there is one God, or supreme being, that represents all that is good. Most religions would also have you believe that you should only worship one God. In the book, it says that you can't just worship one God in the name of good. In my experience and in history, people do the ugliest things with the best intentions, in the name of good. There is the god of good and the god of evil and you can't devote your life to one of these two extremes. You have to worship both and find where your place is in between these two extremes.
This outlook on religion or even how we see good and bad made me think about where my place is and how I fit in this world. I think it would be pretty ignorant for me to say that everything I do is for the side of good. Everything I do is for my side.
And on my side, my family eats, my partners prosper, and it is regrettable to be one of my enemies, whatever dirt or shine that entails.
-----------------------------------------------
I don't really listen to rock, and I think I found out why. My dad told me to listen to this album.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

If you don't know this album, you at least know its album cover. They made the prism famous. It is why you see it everywhere. It is how you have this design on pajammies. Because they made it famous.
And they're famous for good reason. When you listen to music, it's good to have a sense of history. Before I listened to this album, I already knew it was a classic based on reputation. But when I actually heard it, it almost brought me to tears at how good it actually was. Then I got angry. I got angry at how we as listeners made rock n' roll posers famous. It is an insult to rock n' roll that we let the artists now become successful by releasing garbage and not art. I know that hip hop is in a bad state right now. If it's not dead, it is on some serious life support. But no one mentions how bad rock n' roll is. Rock n' roll is guilty of producing cookie cutter artists just as much as hip hop is. The whole music industry needs a revival or else its listeners will be reduced to drones who listen through their headphones and hear nothing.


7 Comments:
Right on. That's kind of why i'm angry with hip-hop.
it get's complicated even more because "rock" has splintered and branched off from its roots into so many sub-genres. (Possibly this could be argued for hip-hop? i really don't know.) my point is that its hard to compare pink floyd to metallica, coheed & cambria, weezer, radiohead, jimmy eat world, etc. because they're so RADICALLY different from classic more rock, even though they arguably are "descendant" from it.
on second thought, i don't know what genre radiohead would be, let alone whether or not it descends from rock, so i take that one back
dont worry cas, the song that you love so much will revive the music industry. it goes a little something like this:
this is why im hot/ im hot cuz im fly/ you aint cuz you not/ this is why this is why this is why im hot!
what can i say? lyricism at its greatest.
:)
Rhyming hot with not is genius. And then rhyming it with hot again is just uncanny. If you can't see that, then there must be something wrong with you. Haha
Forget about the lyrics... it's the music that has soul. They could be singing about bird shit and if it was over a Led Zeppelin song, it would be still be great
GHETTO REVIVAL BABY!
Amen.
But Floyd gets a little bloated later on.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home