I once knew a person...

I'm from the South. Hear my story.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Stan "Tookie" Williams

Issues like the death penalty will never get a clear cut answer on whether it's right or not.

But if you want to know what I think about it...

Whether Stan Tookie Williams killed four people or not, his stimulus to reform was being convicted and sent to jail. If he hadn't been convicted, he wouldn't have written his Nobel-laureate nominee novels (say that ten times fast) or children's books. I really don't know what he wrote to be honest, but I'm sure it was good. The prison system, in my opinion, is supposed to help people reform and become contributers to society. Some people would argue its purpose is to lock people up. But that's besides the point. While in jail, Stan Tookie Williams had helped thousands of people in society, on the outside, with his writings and kept a couple of those people off the streets (like Snoop Dogg). He has helped more people while in jail than some people do as free people. And he was sentenced to death, a fate that deprives you of your opportunity to contribute to society.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger denied his plea for clemency based on the fact that Stan had not apologized for the killings and therefore, has not reformed. He was convicted for killing four people and that conviction is clouded by evidence of witnesses giving false evidence, in order to lessen their sentence. Stan Tookie Williams, five-time Nobel-laureate nominee, already facing death, decides not to apologize for a crime that he claims that he didn't commit. For what fathomable reason would a five-time Nobel laureate-nominee not apologize for a crime that he was already convicted for if it meant keeping his life?!?! Maybe...he didn't do it. And maybe he subscribes to laws that transcend life and death. Maybe he'd rather keep his dignity. Have any of you ever thought that maybe...he chose death?

And yes I do believe a five-time Nobel-laureate nominee has more right to live than other people. Who gives me that right? No one. But I do have the right to believe that.

And I resent that CNN b*tch who referred to Stan Tookie Williams as "convicted murderer" and "co-founder of the Crips" but forgot to mention "five-time Nobel-laureate nominee."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're agreed that Tookie, whether he murdered 4 people or not, still co-founded one of the most violent gangs. so he did bad, still. And yet he also did good. He is a nobel peace prize nominee. In Tookie's case, you're seeing the good over the bad. Refering to a previous post, why is Clinton still a failure? Why is Clinton's bad louder than Clinton's good, and yet Tookie's good louder than Tookie's bad? How much good do i need to do to erase my history of bad? True Clinton isn't facing death for his "crime" but it seems you are choosing to remember Clinton as an adulterer, and not a great president, while choose to remember Tookie as a great peace writer rather than founder of gang/death row inmate. You're allowed to have discrepancies...I'm just curious as to why? What makes this case different?

(just a note, I don't support the death sentence in general nor the death of Tookie. I don't see how killing shows that killing is wrong. If i don't have the right to take the life of another, I don't think the government should be granted that right either.)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Cas Ruffin said...

I think you're missing the point of my Bill Clinton post.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i wrote about tookie in my blog too..not as elaborate as yours..but it sparked a debate w/ my old high school friend hehe.

anyway, all in all, i feel what you're saying, and it's my stand also.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tired of not being able to find clothes that fit? I know I was. That's why I started Stewie's Big and Tall Man Shop. If you're portly or tall you'll find a friendly atmosphere with personalized and expert service.

Customer: Hi, Stewie. How's the weather up there?
Stewie: Very fair. Like our prices. ;-)

HOWS THAT FOR A RANDOM ADVERTISEMENT ON YOUR COMMENTS?!

..In other news, Tookie supporter yet also pro Death Penalty. I'm one of those cats faced with a moral dillema when I think "an eye for an eye" is just in this kinda society, yet wears blue in honor of Tookie the next day.

..Also in other news.. GET YO ASS BACK DOWN HERE!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home