I once knew a person...

I'm from the South. Hear my story.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

It's cool, you hippo!

Back in SOuthern CALifornia, the boys and girls have this custom of kissing each other on the cheek when they enter the room/party/social event and before they leave. Sometimes, the girls and girls perform the custom as well. Sometimes, you knew who they were; you were good friends or whatnot. Other times, you go to a party, get introduced to someone, and by the time the party is over and you're about to leave, you give each other a peck on the cheek, unless it's two dudes. You didn't really have to know the person. You probably never even talked the whole night. Heck, you probably don't even know where the other person's lips have been. She could have had Herpes Simplex I for all you knew. But you did kiss the people you knew on the cheek when you entered and before you left, even that new person you were just introduced to, herpes and all. It was the custom. Of course, it excludes two dudes kissing each other or anyone who looks generally nasty. At Berkeley, they don't do this. It's not like I'm some pervert vying for people's affection. But I do miss the gesture. It could be the kiss of death for all I care. I still miss it.

I got MTV at home.
So?
What you mean so?! It's cool, you hippo!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Berkeley = had Hippies in the 60's
Hippies = Free Love
Free Love = every STD under the sun
that = no kissy :(

10:10 AM  
Blogger Cas Ruffin said...

It's COOL, you hippo!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your neck is a hippo!

And I am mad at you. A little bit. Good night!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's cool you were brought up like that...
but dude, u can't do that everywhere in So Cal--for me it's only my fam in Long Beach & those in Europe...but yes, I'd love to have that a general custom in CA

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do that too with peoples!! but yeah..berkeley doesn't do that..maybe cuz we see each other a lot? anyway, hope your summer is swell. sorry we couldn't make it down there.. =)

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cas! Guess who ;)

Wow, I thought I would hear/see that in books/on tv. Berkeley's a whole new world, even for me who lives 15 minutes away. But then again, I'm from Oakland. Oakland people dont even touch each other other than giving props or giving that bump in the chest. We rarely hug! So dont feel that bad, it can be worse ;)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home