I once knew a person...

I'm from the South. Hear my story.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

How to get into UC Berkeley from Providence High School

I'm gonna hit you up with the remix (because I don't usually do this).

Good way to start off the school year
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
LPG party

You ever have a picture that just really captured the emotion...like this one?

-------------------------------------------

How to Get Into UC Berkeley From Providence High School

Here are a couple rules to get you into THE premier college from the not-so-premier high school

1. You have to know how to cheat.

There's a reason why this rule is #1. With a few exceptions, this was the rule of thumb for everyone. The dumb people were cheating AND the smart people were cheating. This wasn't a question of morality. Everyone just had to do what they had to do. If you didn't cheat, you weren't smart. And if you didn't cheat, you were the only one playing by the rules.

Basic Methods: Looking at another person's paper when the teacher wasn't looking, having someone actually show you their paper (in Spanish class, all the native tongues were sharing their answers with everyone, call it an act of solidarity), plagiarism with a few tweeks, writing answers down on your hand

Advanced Methods: (For the girls with skirts) writing down answers on your thighs (anatomical sales rep style), using stolen tests, writing down answers on the back of labels of water bottles, rollin' answer sheets inside your pens, changing grades via hacking into the school's computer grade program

I can honestly say that there were classmates who worked a lot harder than me that go to shitty schools with people a lot dumber than them.

The difference: they didn't know how to cheat good.

2. You have to know how to suck up.

There wasn't really such thing as an objective grade. Like the real world, it was all about connections. It was who liked you. I wasn't that good at this but I did what I could. How much did it to pay off to be a teacher's best friend? The possibilities are almost endless: exclusive access to extra credit, recommendation letters, grade changes. To give you a sense of how far it went, I know a student who complained about a grade (and not rightfully so), got the grade changed, and became a salutatorian. Every grade counts when you're in high school.

3. You had to be lucky.

No one can really say that they were responsible for everything that affected their life. Governor Schwarzeneggar started the GTO program my year in order to let more people into the UCs. They were supposed to come to the UC after two years in community college. But then the state got more money and finally let in everyone who was in GTO without the two year wait. And plus there's that rule: Unless you're really smart, you can't get into more than one UC. That means if you go to Berkeley, then you can't go to L.A. Or if you go to L.A., you can't go to San Diego.

4. Extracurriculars

I guess.....

--------------------------------------------

And in honor of the first week of school...

Thugaboo


Pursue your educational prowess


--------------------------------------------
niggaknowtechnology.com

Offensive? Maybe. Funny as Hell? Definitely.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that hair is getting a little too long for those curlers, bud.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Cas Ruffin said...

Ladies are still feelin' it.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Patrici said...

i'm not

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home